Sunday 8 March 2009

Music as an influence

For as long as I can remember, music has always played a big part as an influence in my life. Before the age of 14, I was mainly listening to anything that either was memorable (i.e. catchy tunes), or ones that made me smile. A possible reason for this particular behaviour could have been the fact that when I was younger, my mind was obviously too immature to make anything more of music through reason besides the facts mentioned above.

Music started to play a bigger role when I was 12 but did not really take-off until I started listening to Greenday. Firstly, I started listening because the songs were catchy (this turned me into a major fan because I wanted to observe all the cathyness in detail unlike ever before - the basslines and drums played a crucial role). Later on, I paid a lot more attention to the lyrics. They sang about adolescent life and and the realities they had to face on their own. They had punk hair, tattoos, and a massive following. It must have intrigued me the fact that they were so weird and yet were accepted by their peers.

To those who have shared my hardship of not being accepted by your peers (the masses, the popular crowd) will know what I'm trying to explain. It was then when I joined in the craze and decided to be a punk myself, repeating to others what I had learned from the music I had fell for so much). Basically, screw everyone!. However, this is no longer the case. My musical interest has found its way into the different corners of the earth. Greenday offered a way out for me and many others to feel a sense of belonging. Since then, I figure if i judged other types of music the way people have judged me in the past, I'll be no better and I am quite certain no good can come of it. I believe, that human beings carry with them a curse which is to ' Turn into the people we Hate'. Come to think of it, other bands/artists must have given you all a sense of belonging too at one point in your life or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment