Saturday 7 March 2009

Addiction

Ask yourself, what is 'addiction'?

Personally, I have been addicted to many things in my life. To keep the list short, I will only name a couple:
(1)Food - The smell and sight of something delicious was enough to make me want to eat.
(2)Cigarettes - even until the point that i was no longer enjoying it.
(3)Being a Couch Potato
These addictions became routine for me. My guess is that I created these routines to make me feel safer from the unpredictability of what the world has in store for me. In other words, I may have been afraid to really live life. A friend of mine recommended to me a book on psychology by Richard Gross supposedly the book that was held in such high esteem by others in the field.
After reading the relevant chapter, I am more aware of my own addictive tendancies and am less likely to take these addictions lightly. Unfortunately, my understanding of psychology is no better than the average laymmen. However, I recommend to anyone out there who will like to make changes in their own lives for the better to gain more information on the realities of addiction. This is because, addiction does not only apply to harsh drugs and booze but to many other things that are available to us. For example, coffee ( not as harmful, but those addicted to coffee cannot function properly for the rest of the day without it ).
I cannot help feeling that what I've written on this particular topic was not very helpful to anyone. I am terribly sorry for recognising an important problem but unable to discuss it in detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment